Michael Bates, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- Ph.D., Epidemiology, University of California, Berkeley
- M.P.H., Environmental Health Sciences, University of California, Berkeley
- M.Sc., Toxicology, University of Surrey, England
- B.Sc. (Hons), Chemistry, University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- Health risks of long-term, low-level exposure to hydrogen sulfide
- Health effects of exposure to indoor cooking smoke in developing countries
- Cancer risks in firefighters
- Safety of dental amalgams
- Health effects of arsenic in drinking water
- Exposure to and health effects of organochlorine compounds
Bates M.N., Garrett N, Crane J.; Balmes J. “Associations of Ambient Hydrogen Sulfide Exposure With Self-Reported Asthma and Asthma Symptoms.” Environmental Research. 2013;122:81-87.
Bates M.N., Chandyo R.K., Valentiner-Branth P., Pokhrel A.K., Mathisen M., Basnet S., Shrestha P.S., Strand T.A., Smith K.R. “Acute Lower Respiratory Infection in Childhood and Household Fuel Use in Bhaktapur, Nepal.” Environmental Health Perspectives. 2013;121(5):637-42.
Pokhrel A.K., Bates M.N., Shrestha S.P., Bailey I.L., Dimartino R.B., Smith K.R. “Biomass Stoves and Lens Opacity and Cataract in Nepalese Women.” Optometry and Vision Science. 2013; 90:257-68.
Epstein M.B., Bates M.N., Arora N.K., Balakrishnan K., Jack D.W., Smith K.R. “Household Fuels, Low Birth Weight and Neonatal Death in India: The Separate Impacts of Biomass, Kerosene, and Coal. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health. 2013; 216:523-32.
Lam N., Smith K.R., Gauthier A., Bates M.N. “Kerosene: A Review of Household Uses and Their Hazards in Low- and Middle-Income Countries.” Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part B. 2012 15:396–432.
Carlton E.J., Bates M.N., Zhong B., Seto E.Y.W., Spear R.C. “Evaluation of Mammalian and Intermediate Host Surveillance Methods for Detecting Schistosomiasis Reemergence in Southwest China.” PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases. 2011; 5(3):e987.
Bates M.N. “Dental Amalgam Fillings: A Source of Mercury Exposure.” In: Nriagu J.O. (ed.) Encyclopedia of Environmental Health, volume 2, 2011; pp. 11–20 Burlington: Elsevier.
Pokhrel A.K., Bates M.N., Verma S.C., Joshi H.S., Sreeramareddy C.T., Smith K.R. “Tuberculosis and Indoor Biomass and Kerosene Use in Nepal: A Case-Control Study.” Environmental Health Perspectives 2010; 118:558-564.
Bates M.N., Khalakdina A., Pai M., Chang L., Lessa F., Smith K.R. (2007). “The Risk of Tuberculosis From Exposure to Tobacco Smoke: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.” Arch Intern Med; 167:335-342.
Bates M.N. “Registry-Based Case-Control Study of Cancer In California Firefighters.” American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 2007; 50:339-344.
Visit Michael Bates’ website.