Financing your degree
Managing your finances may seem like a daunting task, but below are resources that can help you.
Tuition for the UC Berkeley Online MPH program is $1,277 per unit, with a minimum of 42 units required to graduate. The total cost of the program is approximately $55,000, including campus fees*.
Tuition for Spring 2020 – Fall 2020
- Tuition $1,277 per unit
Document fee (first semester only): $95
Berkeley Campus fee (each semester): $728.25
*Campus fees apply to both U.S. citizens and international students
Summer Session Fees:Tuition $1,277 per unitSummer Campus Fees $349
You are responsible for additional costs including books, visas and travel expenses related to the program’s required on-campus visits. You are also required to own or have access to a personal computer. You may request a loan from the Financial Aid Office (FAO) to cover the computer cost.
Federal or private student loans are available. Apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and noting UC Berkeley’s federal school code, 001312.
Financial Aid Tips
– File the FAFSA even if you are not sure you will need or want any aid from the FAO. You can decide later whether to accept aid for which you are eligible.
– Graduate students are considered independent; parent information should not be included on your FAFSA.
– Submit your FAFSA by the priority deadline to ensure timely processing and the best financial aid package, including work-study, Perkins and Parent Grants.
– Only U.S. citizens and permanent residents may apply for funds administered by the FAO.
Financial Aid decisions: In late April or May, the FAO will notify you about your award including information on disbursement of awards, how to make changes or appeals, and other options. You may also be asked to submit additional documents.
• UC Berkeley Graduate Fellowships & Awards: Application materials and deadlines for Berkeley Graduate Division awards.
• Fellowship and Grant Databases and Resources: A comprehensive list of national and international databases with information on various funding sources.
• Veterans Benefits: Determine your eligibility and award amount via the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website or by contacting the VA at (888) 442-4551. Then, learn how to initiate your benefits at UC Berkeley by visiting the veteran student services page.
Dean’s Health Equity and Leadership Award
On behalf of the School of Public Health and the Graduate Division, we are pleased to offer the Dean’s Health Equity and Leadership Award. This fellowship is in recognition of students’ achievements and contributions to public service as well as their future endeavors in the field of public health. Sponsored by the School of Public Health, recipients will be awarded in the amount equivalent to the cost of one(1) unit per semester. Awardees are eligible to receive this award for a maximum of seven(7) semesters.
- – You have completed the ‘Economic Background’ in your online MPH application
- – You have completed your Online MPH application by the time of the [Online MPH] application deadline
- – You have completed the Dean’s Health Equity & Leadership Award form by the March 1st deadline.
2020 PublicHealthOnline.org $1,000 Public Health Trailblazer Scholarship
You will need to submit just four things to meet the scholarship application requirements:
– Complete application form with verifiably true and accurate information
– 100% original essay that addresses the topic described below (2,500 words or less)
– Proof of enrollment or acceptance to a qualifying MPH program (letter of acceptance or another verifiable document with university letterhead)
– Proof of meeting minimum GPA requirements (transcripts summary or another verifiable document with university letterhead)
The application form, required documentation, and essay must all be submitted at the same time. Any false or inaccurate information on the application form or plagiarized content on the essay would be grounds for immediate disqualification. For more information on eligibility and essay topic, please visit: https://www.publichealthonline.org/scholarship/
When it comes to financing your degree, one idea is obvious, but can be difficult—asking your employer for assistance. Clearly, your employer will benefit from your advanced training, but many companies don’t have a formal policy for tuition reimbursement, or if they do, it may be vague or not well communicated.
However, many students can and do receive financial assistance from employers, and there are a number of steps that help them secure it.
Tips on Requesting Employer Sponsorship for your Online MPH
1. Be sure you understand your company’s policies.
Look for any existing information on tuition reimbursement at your company—but don’t give up if you don’t find a formal policy. Your company may offer financial compensation for professional development or training, and that may apply to study in the UC Berkeley Online MPH program.
2. Know who makes the decision, and find an advocate.
You’ll likely need to approach and work with the person who makes this kind of financial decision at your company. If he or she doesn’t know you well, you’ll also want an advocate who can support your sponsorship request.
3. Prepare a strong case for MPH employer support.
Find out if anyone else in your organization has received compensation for an advanced degree or if other companies in your field help employees with educational goals. Other MPHs at your company—particularly those who have been through your particular program—may also be able to help or write a formal letter of support.
4. Underscore your impact at work.
This is not the time to be overly modest. Gather proof of your contributions and accomplishments over time to make clear your positive impact on the organization.
5. Highlight the ways MPH studies will bring value to your firm.
With all you’ve accomplished before earning your business degree (See #4), think what you could do during and after your studies. Give your employer a feel for this by outlining specifics of the curriculum to illustrate the skills you’ll gain in everything from leadership and strategy to finance and marketing.
6. Highlight the MPH program’s cross-pollination with other industries.
UC Berkeley Online MPH purposefully chooses each executive class to include students from a variety of industries and job functions. This yields a multitude of insights on strategy and innovation you might not be exposed to within your own industry.
7. Consider what else you might give in exchange.
Ensure that your conversation with the decision-maker isn’t only an “ask," but a negotiation aimed at meeting both party’s needs. For example, some employers agree to offer financial assistance in return for an employment contract specifying a length of time you will remain at the company.